Explorations: Water—A Unique Molecule
The links below will help you understand the many strange properties of water that account for its important role in earth’s weather and climate.
- U.S. Geological Survey: Water Science for Schools’ Water Basics Web page is an introduction to the chemistry of water.
- Water on the Web home page is designed to help high school and beginning college students and their teachers understand the science of water. The primary goal is to train students to understand and solve environmental problems.
- London South Bank University’s Water and Life Web page is for those with more knowledge of science.
- Mariana Gosnell has a good, brief discussion of how water acts as it cools in her book Ice: The Nature, the History, and the Uses of an Astonishing Substance (New York: Knopf, 2005), 9–15. Her book is a good source of information on all aspects of ice.
- The Sweet Briar College’s H2O—The Mystery, Art, & Science of Water Web site explores all aspects of water, including its science. The site has links to a large number of other sources of information.