W. S. Graham
Distributed for Liverpool University Press
"The ten essays in this book are all extremely competent studies of Graham’s work [...] constantly aware of the subtleties of Graham’s very individual attitudes to his art. The book will make an excellent companion for many readers and students."—PNReview
1. Introduction: Contacting Graham - Ralph Pite and Hester Jones
"Listen, Put on Morning"
2. 'Listen': W.S. Graham - Ian Sansom
from "The White Threshold"
3. Graham and the 1940s - Tony Lopez
from "The Nightfishing"
4. 'Roaring between the lines': W.S. Graham and the White Threshold of Line-Breaks - Adam Piette
from "The Dark Dialogues"
5. Abstract, Real and Particular: Graham and Painting - Ralph Pite
from "Implements in their Places"
6. Syntax Gram and the Magic Typewriter: W. S. Graham's Automatic Writing - Matthew Francis
from "To My Wife at Midnight"
7. Dependence in the Poetry of W.S. Graham - Peter Robinson
from "Dear Bryan Wynter"
8. Achieve Further through Elegy - Fiona Green
"Letter X - My Dear So Many Times"
9. Graham and the Numinous: The 'Centre Aloneness' and the 'Unhailed Water' - Hester Jones
from "Johann Joachim Quantz's Five Lessons"
10. The Poetry of W.S. Graham - Edwin Morgan
Index of Graham's Works