9-2/5 x 6-1/5
Syon Abbey, the only house of the Bridgettine order in England, was founded in 1415. The celebrated literary activities of the brethren were supported by a magnificent library, one of the best attested of late medieval England thanks to the intricate catalogue prepared around 1500 by Brother Thomas Betson, and kept up until around 1523.
This volume presents a full edition of the catalogue, and for the first time it both reconstructs entries for the many books known to have been deaccessioned and it identifies many printed books by secundo folio, so offering a complete picture of the changing collection. Also published in this volume are eight short book-lists from English Carthusian houses edited by Ian Doyle.