The Politics of Evaluation
Participation and Policy Implementation
Distributed for Policy Press at the University of Bristol
Notes on contributors
Introduction: The politics of evaluation: an overview
David Taylor and Susan Balloch
Part One: Governance and evaluation
1. Below decks on the youth justice flagship: the politics of evaluation
Peter Squires and Lynda Measor
2. Urban regeneration: who defines the indicators?
3. Reaching for the stars: the performance assessment framework for social services
Stella Law and Karin Janzon
Part Two: Participation and evaluation
4. Service-user involvement in evaluation and research: issues, dilemmas and destinations
5. Best Value but not best interests: can service users instruct mental health advocates?
6. New Deal for Communities as a participatory public policy: the challenges for evaluation
Kay Graham and Amanda Harris
7. Discovery through dialogue and appreciative inquiry: a participative evaluation framework for project development
Glynis Cousin, Judith Cousin and Frances Deepwell
8. Evaluating projects aimed at supporting the parents of young people: “I didn’t learn anything new, but . . .”
Part Three: Partnerships and evaluation
9. Evaluating interagency working in health and social care: politics, policies and outcomes for service users
10. Reflections on an evaluation of partnerships to cope with winter pressures
Susan Balloch, Alison Penn and Helen Charnley
11. Evaluating a partnership approach to supporting people into employment
Part Four: Learning from evaluation
12. Evaluation and the New Deal for Communities: learning what for whom?
Ian Smith and Lucy Grimshaw
13. Community-led regeneration: learning loops or reinvented wheels?
Mike Rowe and Marilyn Taylor
14. Can social capital be a framework for participative evaluation of community health work?
Jennie Fleming and Thilo Boeck
15. Learning the art of evaluation: presume the presence of politics
Georgie Parry-Crooke and Cathy Sullivan
Conclusion: What the politics of evaluation implies
Susan Balloch and David Taylor