Introduction: the new 'Livercool'
Preface to the first edition
PART ONE: MERSEYPRIDE
1. 'Liverpool's story is the world's glory'
2. 'An accent exceedingly rare': Scouse and the inflexion of class
PART TWO: IRISH LIVERPOOL
3. Ribbonism, nationalism and the Irish pub
4. Charity, ethnicity and the Catholic parish
5. Micks on the make on the Mersey
PART THREE: TORY TOWN
6. Protectionism, paternalism and Protestantism: popular Toryism in early Victorian Liverpool
PART FOUR: COMPARATIVE PERSPECTIVES
7. Ethnicity, migration and labour history
8. 'Grandes villes': Liverpool, Lyon, and Munich
For more information, or to order this book, please visit http://www.press.uchicago.edu