Identity and Pleasure
The Politics of Indonesian Screen Culture
Distributed for National University of Singapore Press
While in-depth analyses of identity and political contestation within the nation are the focus of the book, trans-national engagements and global dimensions are a significant part of the story in each chapter. The author focuses on contemporary cultural politics in Indonesia, but each chapter contextualizes current circumstances by setting them within a broader historical perspective.
1. Remembering the Future
2. Post-Islamism: Faith, Fun, and Fortune
3. Cinematic Battle
4. A Past Dismembered and Disremembered
5. The Impossibility of History?
6. Ethnic Minority Under Erasure
7. K-Pop and Gendered Asianization
8. From Screen to Street Politics