China into Film
Frames of Reference in Contemporary Chinese Cinema
Distributed for Reaktion Books
Abundantly illustrated with Chinese paintings as well as scenes from such internationally acclaimed films as Yellow Earth, Red Sorghum, Raise the Red Lantern and Farewell My Concubine, China into Film reveals a cinematic form at once excitingly new and deeply imbedded in traditional Chinese visual culture.
"As a study of the relationship between contemporary Chinese film and the visual legacy of Chinese arts and culture, this book is superb."
1. Drowning on Dry Land: Yellow Earth and the Traditionalism of the 'Avant-garde'
2. Ruins of a Sorghum Field, Eclipse of a Nation: Red Sorghum on Page and Screen
My Memories of Old Beijing
Sacrificed Youth, Horse Thief, Transmigration/Samsara, Old Well, The Trouble-Shooters
3. A Farewell to Arts: Allegory Goes to the Movies
Farewell My Concubine
The Story of Qiu Ju
4. The Veil of Tradition: Victims, Warriors and the Female Analogy
Woman from the Lake of Scented Souls
5. The Force of Labels: Melodrama in the Postmodern Era
6. The Children of Melodrama: No-drama, Pseudo-drama, Melodramatic Masquerade and Deconstruction Drama
Black Cannon Incident
The Big Parade, King of the Children
Judou, Raise the Red Lantern