The Beatles in Hamburg
Distributed for Reaktion Books
John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr are four of the most famous names in the history of music. In the 1960s, the Beatles became the bestselling pop band in the world, inspiring legions of fans and developing into popular music icons. Fifty years later, their recordings are still in demand. But none of this happened overnight. As Ian Inglis reveals in this tale of the band’s early years, before they took the world by storm, the Beatles were little more than an inexperienced, semi-professional group of talented musicians in dire need of practice.
1. Hamburg before the Beatles, the Beatles before Hamburg
2. Sex and Drugs and Rock'n'Roll
3. Lovers and Friends (I Still Can Recall)
4. Something Old ...
5. ... Something New
6. Other Voices, Other Rooms
7. The Sound of the City
8. The Beatles after Hamburg, Hamburg after the Beatles
Conclusion: A Long and Winding Road