Rituals of Fertility and the Sacrifice of Desire
Nazarite Women's Performance in South Africa
Against the backdrop of South Africa's turbulent history, Muller shows how Shembe's ideas of female ritual purity developed as a response to a regime and culture that pushed all things associated with women, cultural expression, and Africanness to the margins.
Carol Muller breaks new ground in the study of this changing region and along the way includes fascinating details of her own poignant journey, as a young, white South African woman, to the "other" side of a divided society.
2. Isaiah Shembe and the Making of Religious Empire
3. Making and Exchanging Nazarite Sacred Forms
4. Nazarite Hymns: Indigenizing Sacred Song
5. Nazarite Hymns: Popularizing Sacred Song (1940-1997)
6. AmaNtombazane as the Mountains of Abstinence
7. Nazarite Marriage and the "Brides of Christ"
8. AmaNkosikazi as Maidens of Royal Blood
A Last Word