Pluralism and Progressives
Hull House and the New Immigrants, 1890-1919
Definition of Terms
Introduction: The Myth of Jane Addams and Hull House
Part One: Liberal Progressives and Assimilation
1. The Hull House Idea of Community
2. The Hull House Concept of Immigrant Assimilation
3. The Role of the Settlement in the Assimilation of "New Immigrants"
4. Hull House, the Education of Immigrant Children, and Ethnic Studies
5. Leadership, Cultural Brokerage, and "Control through Alliance"
Part Two: Hull House and the "Immigrant Colonies"
6. Hull House and the Immigrant Subcommunities
7. Hull House and Its "New Immigrant" Clientele
8. Hull House and Immigrant Leadership: Patterns of Adjustment to the American Environment
Part Three: Liberal Progressives and American Nationalism and Culture
9. Internationalism and Universal Brotherhood
10. The Contribution Idea and the Hull House Concept of American Civilization
11. The Hull House Concept of American Nationalism and Culture in the Spectrum of Contemporary Views
Afterword: Myth and Reality