The Fourth Great Awakening and the Future of Egalitarianism
"To take a trip around the mind of Robert Fogel, one of the grand old men of American economic history, is a rare treat. At every turning, you come upon some shiny pearl of information."—The Economist
In this broad-thinking and profound piece of history, Robert William Fogel synthesizes an amazing range of data into a bold and intriguing view of America's past and future—one in which the periodic Great Awakenings of religion bring about waves of social reform, the material lives of even the poorest Americans improve steadily, and the nation now stands poised for a renewed burst of egalitarian progress.
The Egalitarian Creed in America
1. The Fourth Great Awakening, the Political Realignment of the 1990s, and the Potential for Egalitarian Reform
2. Technological Change, Cultural Transformations, and Political Crises
3. The Triumph of the Modern Egalitarian Ethic
4. The Egalitarian Revolution of the Twentieth Century
5. The Emergence of a Postmodern Egalitarian Agenda
Afterword: Whither Goes Our World?