The American Enemy
The History of French Anti-Americanism
Buffon, as Philippe Roger demonstrates here, was just one of the first in a long line of Frenchmen who have built a history of anti-Americanism in that country, a progressive history that is alternately ludicrous and trenchant. The American Enemy is Roger's bestselling and widely acclaimed history of French anti-Americanism, presented here in English translation for the first time.
With elegance and good humor, Roger goes back 200 years to unearth the deep roots of this anti-Americanism and trace its changing nature, from the belittling, as Buffon did, of the "savage American" to France's resigned dependency on America for goods and commerce and finally to the fear of America's global domination in light of France's thwarted imperial ambitions. Roger sees French anti-Americanism as barely acquainted with actual fact; rather, anti-Americanism is a cultural pillar for the French, America an idea that the country and its culture have long defined themselves against.
Sharon Bowman's fine translation of this magisterial work brings French anti-Americanism into the broad light of day, offering fascinating reading for Americans who care about our image abroad and how it came about.
“A brilliant and exhaustive guide to the history of French Ameriphobia.”—Simon Schama, New Yorker
Part I - The Irresistible Rise of the Yankee
1. The Age of Contempt
2. The Divided States of America
3. Lady Liberty and the Iconoclasts
4. From Havana to Manila: An American World?
5. Yankees and Anglo-Saxons
6. Portraits of Races
7. "People of Enemy Blood"
8. The Empire of Trusts: Socialism or Feudalism?
Part II - A Preordained Notion
9. The Other Maginot Line
10. Facing the Decline: Gallic Hideout or European Buffer Zone?
11. From Debt to Dependency: The Perrichon Complex
12. Metropolis, Cosmopolis: In Defense of Frenchness
13. Defense of Man: Anti-Americanism Is a Humanism
14. Insurrection of the Mind, Struggle for Culture, Defense of the Intelligentsia
Choice Magazine: CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title Awards
French-American Foundation: French-American Foundation Translation Prize