Six Citrus Recipes
from Citrus: A History
by Pierre Laszlo
Peel from a half-dozen oranges
1 liter fruit alcohol, at least 90 proof
2 lbs granulated white sugar
3 bottles dry white wine
2 bottles sweet white wine
A half-dozen peppercorns
A half-dozen cloves
A quarter of a cinnamon stick
- Remove the white pith, as much as possible, from the orange peel.
- Put the peel in the fruit alcohol, together with the spices.
- Let the preparation marinate for 3 weeks.
- Stir in the sugar with a wooden spoon until dissolved.
- Add the wine.
- Allow the mix to marinate for another 3 weeks.
- Filter out all of the solids.
Citrus: A History
©2007 256 pages, 20 color plates
Cloth $25.00 ISBN: 978-0-226-47026-9 (ISBN-10: 0-226-47026-1)
For information on purchasing the book—from bookstores or here online—please go to the webpage for Citrus: A History.
Copyright: Excerpted from Citrus: A History by Pierre Laszlo, published by the University of Chicago Press. ©2007 by the University of Chicago. All rights reserved. This text may be used and shared in accordance with the fair-use provisions of U.S. copyright law, and it may be archived and redistributed in electronic form, provided that this entire notice, including copyright information, is carried and provided that the University of Chicago Press is notified and no fee is charged for access. Archiving, redistribution, or republication of this text on other terms, in any medium, requires the consent of the author and the University of Chicago Press.