There are many recipes for orange sherbet. The following is among the easiest to implement: it uses only orange juice and evaporated milk, and does not require an ice cream maker.
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup cold milk
1 5 oz can evaporated milk, refrigerated
- In a bowl, mix the sugar with the juice, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the milk gradually, until it is also fully incorporated and the mix is homogeneous.
- Pour into a shallow dish and store in the freezer until firm.
- Remove from refrigerator, break into small chunks, and beat with an electric mixer until the preparation is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip the evaporated milk until it is stiff (which pumps air into the mixture to form a firm and stable foam).
- Fold into the previously frozen mixture. Return the mixture to the freezer.
To prepare an orange container to hold the sherbet:
- Slice off the top of an orange, remove, and set aside.
- Through the opening, scrape out the entire contents of the orange.
- Fill the orange with sherbet, replace the top, and freeze again before serving.